More regular posts coming up!!

Ireland blog is up with pics! Pictures are up for Paris blog and still trying to work on a video for Paris - having technical difficulties.

September 26, 2010

Motril, Hello New Home

It's a little past five in the morning on Saterday and I'm packing up my suitcase for my last stop in Motril, my new home for the next eight months.   My Abuelita is yelling at me "Venga, Venga!!" Which in English means -let's go, let's go!  She starts packing my suitcases for me as I'm hurrying to get dressed.  Five minutes later she has all three of my suitcases out in the hall near the elevator and I'm still in the bathroom brushing my teeth.  Let's just say she was very willing to see me leave.  Why?  I'm not sure.  Maybe it was because I burnt her dish towel trying to make her an American meal, or maybe it was because I snuck chocolate milk and peanut butter in my room which I tried to hide under my bed and she found it.  It might have also been the fact that I never understood a word she had said and I always left my room quite disorganized.   Not messy, just disorganized.  I'd love to say that I enjoyed every minute of being waited on but having my laundry done for me (my undies folded)  and having every meal made for me was quite uncomfortable. Safe to say I was glad to be gone as well but will also miss my abuelita from Sevilla very much.

A six hour bus ride, my new roomie/friend Tad  and I made it to Motril.  Exhausted and hungry we took a small nap in our hotel rooms then headed out to the streets to find some food.  We stumbled across a small place which looked busy and had plenty of cigarette stubs on the floor.  Loud, smokey and amongst all the chatter we ordered two cervezas which came out with a free tapa.  We both look down at our tapa and realize it has purple suction cups.  Yes, our tapa was grilled octopus.  Hesitant to try it, I grabbed a toothpick anyways and ate my first piece of octopus.  The taste was great, but dang those things are chewy!

Today (Sunday) we explored more of Motril and looked for "se aquiler" signs, which in English means "for rent."  Later this afternoon we searched online for more pisos--apartments and both came across one that caught our eye.  We both emailed the landlord saying we were interested in looking at the apartment and a few hours later Tad got a call from the guy.  Not only was the apartment gorgeous but the family who was leasing it out were so nice and took us out for beer and tapas which we weren't allowed to pay for.  They chatted to us in their broken English while we chatted back in our broken Spanish while eating, you guessed it, more octopus and fried fish.  The food was great and they seemed to like us, the older gentlemen told me I was very pretty on more than one occasion.   Yet later after telling him I wanted to buy a Moto , he commented on my belly (twice) saying I should just walk,  that I needed to walk to get rid of my little pudge.   They did warn us at orientation that Spaniards are very blunt and honest about one anothers appearances.  Yes, I was a little embarrassed but then laughed it off and thought "it's a lot smaller than it was three weeks ago!"  Plus he is right, the more walking I do plus living off of small portions of seafood -aka tapas- I'll get rid of my belly in no time.   Back to the piso,  we think this might be the one, yet it was the first place we looked at and we have more to look at tomorrow.  The plan is to do some more searching tomorrow, compare those to the one we looked at tonight and if we can't find anything better, then this one is a keeper.  I've posted pictures, yall tell me what you think?

It's 500 euros a month split between 3 people--what you see in the pictures is ALL included.









1 comment:

  1. That place looks awesome. Don't take too much time looking for other places cause this place may get snatched up.

    ReplyDelete